What is a CSA?
CSA is short for Community Supported Agriculture. CSA farms offer “shares” for sale — usually a box or bag of fresh produce and farm products provided once per week to shareholders during the growing season.
CSAs create a win-win relationship for farmer and customer:
Advantages for consumers:
- Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits.
- Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking.
- Usually get to visit the farm.
- Find that kids typically favor food from “their” farm – even veggies they’ve never been known to eat.
- Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown.
Advantages for farmers:
- Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm’s cash flow.
- Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their long days begin in the field.
- Have an opportunity to get to know their consumers.
Farms offering CSA shares the Lewiston-Auburn area –
NOTE: It is advised to contact farms in Winter or early Spring to sign-up for your Summer CSA share.
Valley View Farm – Offers a credit-based system for farmers’ markets and their store, 4 Season Farm Market, in New Auburn. Integrated pest management (IPM) farming.
New Roots Cooperative Farm – First New American Cooperative farm in Maine. Offers multiple pick-up locations as well as workplace delivery to locations the L/A area. Chemical-free farming.
Little Ridge Farm – Offers Holiday and Winter shares in addition to the Summer share. MOFGA Certified Organic.
Fresh Start Farms – Offers CSA pick-up in Lewiston as well as other locations around Southern Maine, a program of Cultivating Community. Chemical-free farming.
Chirp Creek Farm – New in 2019, offering fruit and vegetable shares of different sizes including pay-as-you-go options. Chemical-free farming.
Nezinscot Farm – Offers a credit-based system for their farm store in Turner including farm raised beef, pork, chicken, dairy, eggs, vegetables and select fruits. Chemical-free farming.
River Rise Farm – MOFGA Certified Organic.
Willow Pond Farm – Farmer, Jill Agnew, began as the first CSA in Maine in 1989. MOFGA Certified organic.
Harvest Tide Organics – Offers workplace delivery to locations the L/A area. MOFGA Certified Organic.
NOTE TO PRODUCERS: If you would like to be listed on this page, or if any information listed is incorrect, please email us at goodfood4LA (@) gmail.com.