Local Foods, Local Places Action Plan Lewiston-Auburn
Now is a great time to join others in bringing this exciting plan to life. Sign up for email updates at least quarterly on plan progress, and opportunities to support as they arise!
The Local Foods Local Places (LFLP) Action Plan serves both as a record of a community planning process and a road map for Lewiston-Auburn as it grows and strengthens the local food system and economy. It captures the local food vision of the approximately 80+ attendees to the LFLP events on October 22 and 23, 2019 and crystallizes it into sixteen action steps that — along with numerous individual, business, organizational, and municipal commitments — aim to fulfill the following goals:
- GOAL 1 – Strengthen Access To Local Food While Expanding Market Opportunities and Infrastructure for Farm and Food Businesses
- GOAL 2 – Integrate Local Food and Agriculture into City Planning and Economic Development Strategies
- GOAL 3 – Build Food and Agriculture as a Defining Brand for Lewiston-Auburn
- GOAL 4 – Increase Equitable Access, Ownership, and Preservation of Land to Grow Food in Lewiston-Auburn
The LFLP Plan was made possible by a Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) technical assistance Local Foods, Local Places (LFLP) Program grant awarded to the St. Mary’s Nutrition Center in 2019.
The overall Implementation Phase of the Plan is being coordinated by the Good Food Council of Lewiston-Auburn, working closely with a small Coordinating Team. The implementation of the actions in the plan are designed to be participatory and collaborative, and the addition of voices and resources as implementation continues are welcome!
Exciting Video Updates (Fall 2021)
Click to watch on youtube:
- Shanna Cox: Building Local Food Identity & Brand
- Ethan Miller: Increasing Equitable Land Access & Justice
- Muhidin Libah: Securing Land to Grow Food in L/A
- Shelley Norton: Improving City Rules that Support Urban Agriculture
- Sherie Blumenthal: Creating a Future Home for the Lewiston Farmers’ Market
- Emmy Andersson: Developing a Community Food Center in Lewiston/Auburn
- ***Visit this page FMI about and to get involved in Community Food Center Development
If you can’t access the google docs link above, download the Action Plan at this link.