Lewiston-Auburn bustles with people sharing good food that is healthy, affordable, and accessible, and that honors the enduring values, rich cultural heritage, and diverse needs of our population.
L-A COMMUNITY FOOD CHARTER
Because we believe good food:
- Is safe and nutritious, enabling people to live healthy, active lifestyles, and helping children learn and play;
- Supports a strong local economy and a thriving food system;
- Is produced with respect for and provides livable wages to workers;
- Stewards and conserves natural resources for future food production; and
- Fits cultural and/or religious beliefs.
Statement of Commitment:
I/We support a Lewiston-Auburn community that values good food and honors our enduring values, rich cultural heritage, and the diverse needs of our population.
Consider local and sustainable agriculture when making food decisions for ourselves and our families. Production systems should enhance healthy soil and clean water; similarly, economic systems should return a fair wage to labor and a fair income to farmers.
Elevate good food policy by engaging and informing our local officials and leaders, lifting up examples of what works in other places, and using the definition of good food to evaluate relevant legislation and policy decisions.